Registration & Fees
- You can pay for your lessons by cash or card payment, only, in one of our many branches. For branch locations, please click here. If you can’t make it to one of our branches, you can pay online through our secure online payment portal.
- Deciding to learn a musical instrument or discover a new form of dance, can happen upon you at any point in your day, week, month, year or life. When that happens, we are here. You can register for lessons with Melodica at any time during the year. We’re open all year round and there are no restrictions on when you are able to register. If you’re interested in registering now, please click here for our registration page.
- You can find information on all of our pricing for registration, music lessons, dance classes, and more on our website, in person at one of our branches or by calling the phone number on our website.
- To contribute to and to help us cover our administration costs, you are required to pay a one-time registration free. Since we understand that you may have a desire for learning multiple subjects at one time, you only need to pay one (1) registration fee regardless of how many subjects you will take. The registration fee never expires, even if you decide to return to learning after a break.
- Our prices are all subject to VAT as per UAE Federal Decree-Law No. (8) of 2017 on Value Added Tax.
- From the date you purchase the package, you have six (6) months to begin your lessons. Any packages that have not been started within six (6) months of the purchase date will become invalid.
- The price of your lesson package includes the fee’s for your actual lessons. All other materials such as books, examination fees, concert fees, transfer fees, accessories and instruments are not included.
- We understand that sometimes life can get in the way of making it to your face-to-face lesson. We therefore provide the opportunity for all our students to combine face-to-face lessons with online lessons. If you wish to take an online lesson instead of a face-to-face lesson (or vice versa), please discuss with the Front Desk of your branch.
- To learn a musical instrument or dance and to feel the true joy of progression, our teachers do not recommend a single lesson. To have a full learning experience, we offer a minimum of four (4) lessons in our basic packages. If you are unsure which musical instrument or dance class you are interested in, you can participate in a trial class.
I am taking multiple examinations that cover a range of subjects. Do I need to pay an administration fee for each examination?
- Congratulations on taking multiple examinations! Your dedication to your talent and passion is commendable. To support you on your journey and to help reduce that pre-exam stress, you are only required to pay one (1) examination administration fee for multiple examinations. Good luck from your entire Melodica family.
- All of our packages can be transferred to another student. This means that you can transfer your entire package to a friend or family. We do not have the option of refund – once paid, all one-time fees and payments for dance classes and music lessons are non-refundable. Please refer to Transfers and Conversions for further information.
- To guarantee you a regular time and day slot, we book your lessons on the same day(s) and time(s), each week, for the duration of the package. Lessons will be scheduled according to your availability and the availability of your preferred teacher.
- If you are unable to commit to a regular, weekly time slot due to a busy personal and professional schedule, we are happy to be able to offer you irregular lessons. Since we do not know your schedule, it’s your responsibility to book your lessons each week as per the teacher’s availability. All lessons should be used within the package expiry period and since we do not offer any extensions on the expiration dates of packages, please remember to call and reserve your lesson timing every week.
- To ensure that we meet all health and safety requirements of our students and to provide you with the best possible learning experience, all dance classes have a maximum capacity. Please remember to book your preferred class day and time at the time of registration. If you do not book your class in advance, please do not be upset with our team if they cannot accommodate you in the class.
I cannot make it to my face-to-face music lesson. Am I able to schedule an online music lesson instead?
- Maybe you decided on a last-minute weekend getaway but don’t want to miss your violin lesson. Maybe you got stuck in traffic and its quicker for you to drive home than to your branch. In these unexpected situations, we are happy to be able to offer you the flexibility of taking an online lesson if you cannot make it to your face-to-face lesson. To confirm your online lesson, please inform the Front Desk of your branch a minimum of thirty (30) minutes prior to your lesson start time so that your teacher can get setup and prepared for your online lesson.
What happens if my schedule changes during the year or if I want to change my lesson times during Ramadan?
- If your scheduled lesson time works for you now, you can start your lessons immediately.
- If you need to change your lesson schedule, in the future, please contact the Front Desk of your branch with a proposed day and time. Please request your schedule change a minimum of one (1) week before the schedule change begins. We do our best to accommodate your request as per your availability and the teachers availability however we cannot guarantee that a schedule change will be possible.
- We do our best to keep your lesson schedule consistent but occasionally there may be an unlikely situation where we need to change your lesson schedule. You will be notified in advance if your lesson schedule is going to change and will be provided with alternative dates and times.
Cancellations & Mak-up Lessons
- Sometimes you may have to cancel a lesson due to an emergency. As soon as you are aware that you cannot make it to the scheduled lesson, please contact the Front Desk of your branch. We will be happy to offer you an online lesson or to re-schedule your lesson to a different time on the same day. Alternatively, if your package is eligible and your cancellation is made within 24 hours of your lesson, we will be happy to provide you with a make-up lesson within the week, before your next lesson.
- Failure to notify the Front Desk, 24 hours in advance of the cancellation, will result in the lesson being lost. We regret that we do not offer refunds or make-up lessons in this scenario and we appreciate that emergencies and illnesses are out of your control, however if we do not know of the cancellation in advance, we cannot accommodate any other student during the time your lesson is scheduled.
- The number of cancellations that you’re permitted to make, depends on the lesson package that you have purchased. Details can be found on our price list, our website and on your receipt. You can also contact the Front Desk of your branch for further information.
- If you are eligible for a make-up lesson as per the terms and conditions of your package, please contact the Front Desk of your branch to schedule it. The make-up lesson must be taken in the same week as the cancelled/missed lesson or before the next lesson. The make-up lesson can be taken face-to-face or online.
- If you or your teacher cannot find available time for a make-up lesson, we regret that your lesson will be forfeited.
- If you can’t make it to your scheduled make-up lesson, please notify the Front Desk immediately. We regret that make-up lessons cannot be made-up again.
- To offer you flexibility with make-up lessons, if you cannot make it to your make-up lesson in the same week as your cancelled lesson, we are happy to offer you a make-up lesson in the following week, before your next scheduled lesson. Please remember that all make-up lessons must be used within the package expiration date and cannot be carried forward beyond this date.
- So that our entire Melodica family has the opportunity to enjoy a day off on the public holiday, if your lesson falls on a public holiday, your lesson may be subject to cancellation. You will be notified in advance of this cancellation by the Front Desk of your branch and at the same time, a make-up lesson will be offered in the same week or before your next lesson.
- The weather is something that we would love to control but unfortunately cannot. If you can’t make it to your lesson because of bad weather, please notify the Front Desk as soon as you know that you cannot make it and to book a make-up lesson.
- If your teacher is unwell and cannot make it to work, we may need to cancel your lesson. If we have to cancel your lesson, we will contact you immediately with as much notice as possible. We will do our best to book you with another teacher if they’re available but if they’re not then we will book you for another suitable time.
Freezing and Package Expiry
- Since it’s important to continue your learning journey, we are happy to offer you the opportunity to continue your lessons whilst on holiday by taking online lessons.
- If you don’t have your instrument with you on holiday and if your package is eligible, freezing will be permitted with a written request to the Music at Home Co-Ordinator. Please remember to submit this request a minimum of two (2) weeks before the requested freezing period begins. To check if your package is eligible for freezing, please check with the Music at Home Co-Ordinator or have a look on the price list.
- We all like to go on holiday during the hottest months of the year. If your package is eligible, putting lessons on hold for either July or August can easily be done by calling the Front Desk at your branch. If your package is not eligible, lessons can be put on hold for both July and August upon submitting a return-flight ticket copy.
My package allows me to put my lessons on hold for two (2) weeks, but I’m going on holiday for three (3) weeks. What will happen to my lessons?
- If your holiday falls during July or August then your lessons can be put on hold for more than 2 weeks. If the holiday does not fall during July or August, we cannot provide any additional freezing period since the package must be used before the package expiry.
- We recommend that you take your lessons with another teacher if your music teacher is on holiday so that you continue to learn and progress during this time. We will match you with another teacher who will have access to your progress history and we will be able to pick up exactly where your teacher left off.
- Alternatively, we can freeze your lessons until your teacher returns however we do not recommend this option.
- We hope that you have somewhere exciting booked for your holiday. We do recommend that you continue your lessons, even during your holiday. However, if you do not have access to an instrument or internet, do not panic, we can freeze your lessons as per the terms and conditions of your package.
- Our summer dance schedule takes effect in July and August. The dance schedule is more compact but all of our subjects are still available. If you wish, you can also participate in lessons in our other locations.
- We know that your children can get cabin fever during the summer holidays especially if you the parent, is still working. We are therefore happy to offer our fun and educational camps during winter, spring and summer school holidays.
- If you miss two lessons without providing any notice, the Front Desk of your branch will call to make sure that you are ok. If we cannot get a hold of you, we will release your scheduled time slot to other students. If and when you decide to return for your lessons, the Front Desk will book you a new time slot as long as the package is within expiry. Please understand that we cannot offer any refund on missed classes since the time slot was reserved for you.
Lessons and Learning
- Of course! Since you may not be sure about which subject you want to take, we offer trial classes for all subjects. Your trial class will enable you to learn more about the subject, further your interest and meet to discuss progress expectations with your teacher. We also offer short term, one-month packages that students can use to evaluate and try out a subject.
- We offer lessons for students of all ages and skill levels. The minimum age to begin lessons is 4 years old.
- No matter how extraordinary a teacher is (and trust us, ours really are!), a great practice routine is crucial for progressing in any subject or instrument. We encourage our students to develop a rigorous practice routine with the help of their teachers that will enable them to progress much quicker.
- The more often you take lessons, the greater chance you will have of increasing your skill more quickly. Our teachers recommend that students take lessons a minimum of twice per week or more given the availability of the student and teacher.
- We offer teaching for adults, children and anyone looking to improve their skills on an instrument. Our teachers recommend 45-minute lessons for our adult students and 30-minute lessons for our younger students.
- We are very proud of our qualified teachers who make Melodica the leading source for music and dance lessons in the UAE. Our teachers are all selected from well recognised colleges and universities, around the world and come with recommendations from our current teachers. The #1 qualification all of our teachers have, is passion for music and dance and a love for teaching it to others. We background check all of our teachers for criminal and other history.
- Maybe you saw a teacher you liked from our website. Maybe you have been given a recommendation from a friend. If you know of or have seen/met a teacher you’re interested in working with, please let us know at the time of booking a trial class or lesson registration and we will try our best to accommodate you by scheduling your lessons with them. We cannot guarantee that you will be assigned that teacher due to a factors such as schedule availability, your experience or level, experience, age or goals, to name a few.
- Since everyone learns at different rates and in different learning styles, one-on-one lessons have led to our students greatest success. We do not offer lessons whereby two students or siblings can take a lesson at the same time. In our experience, students learn better with a one-on-one approach. Siblings who have separate lessons will however be able to practice and perform together, what they have learnt, at home. The best part of playing an instrument, is playing it with others.
- Unfortunately, sometimes you may meet someone that you don’t gel with due to having different personality types. This is perfectly normal and in this situation, we will try our best to accommodate you with another teacher. We always do our best to ensure the satisfaction of both our students and teachers. When it comes to music and learning, a great connection with your teacher is absolutely crucial.
My child has a learning disability. Do you have teachers with experience with children with special needs?
- Our teachers are well experienced in working with a diverse group of individuals with different needs. We can definitely provide adapted lessons to accommodate any individuals who learn differently than others. When booking your assessment or registering from lessons, please ask which teacher is specifically experienced to help your child.
- Absolutely! Learning dance together as siblings will provide an awesome experience for both children that is fun and exciting. As long as both children are the same age and skill level, they may join the same class. If not, they must each attend a different class that accommodates their skill level and age however they can look forward to sharing and performing what they have learned at home.
How can a student continue to learn in case of an Act of God, Force Majeure or Government closure situation?
- Some things are out of everyone’s control however we are dedicated to making sure our students receive their lessons. In the event of an Act of God, Force Majeure or government closure situation, Melodica will provide an alternative method for lesson delivery.
- Parent feedback and support is crucial to your child’s progress. You will be updated on your child’s progress in a multitude of ways. You are requested to meet the teacher five (5) minutes before the end of every face-to-face and online music lesson. This provides you with an opportunity to be updated on progress, struggles and homework. We also offer regular open classes, for our dance students, which you are invited to attend. You will also receive a quarterly Report Card with an update on development and progress.
- Since having a parent in the room distracts the student, we do not permit any parents inside the dance studio or music room. Our teachers need your child to stay focused and free from distractions so that the time spent with the teacher is maximized. All of our music rooms have a window and we don’t mind if parents sneak-a-peek through the classroom window. For our dance classes, we regularly hold open classes so that you can attend.
I am going on holiday and my package is going to expire during the holiday. Should I renew my package before or after my holiday?
- If you know that your package is going to expire, we recommend that you renew it before going on holiday. We don’t want you to be stressing about securing your favourite teacher and time slot whilst on holiday. To keep things easy, simply renew your package before you go on holiday and you’ll get to stay with the same great teacher and schedule. To renew your package, please co-ordinate with the Front Desk of your branch.
- If your package is about to end, we recommend that you renew it as soon as possible in order to give you a greater chance of keeping your teacher and time slot. Package renewals must be made a minimum of two (2) lessons before the expiry of your existing package.
- We will do our best to reserve you the same lesson schedule but times cannot be held without payment. Please make sure that you follow up with the Front Desk to renew your package as the expiry date approaches. If you are interested in securing a fixed time for a longer period of time, we do offer longer packages.
Transfers and Conversions
- We’re really sorry to see you leave and we wish you the best of luck in your travels. Before you leave the country, we’ll do our best to ensure that you’re able to take all of your lessons. If you’re unable to attend all of your lessons before you leave you can still take them online even after you have left. If you don’t want to continue with online lessons, you can transfer your remaining lessons to a friend or family member but please remember that we do not offer refunds on lessons. Please contact the Front Desk immediately if you’re planning to move.
I am no longer interested in taking piano lessons and I want the remaining balance of my package converted to a purchase of an instrument or product. Is this possible?
- We are very sorry to hear that you’re no longer interested to take your lessons as we always hope that our students continue with their love for learning a musical instrument. In this situation, we recommend that you transfer your remaining lessons to a friend or family member so that they may have the opportunity to experience the joy of playing a musical instrument. We unfortunately cannot convert a lesson package into a purchase for an instrument or product.
I am currently taking 30-minute lessons and would like to increase them to 45-minute lessons. How can I do this?
- We love hearing that you’re enjoying your subject and want to spend more time learning your instrument. To increase your lessons time, please contact the Front Desk of your branch who will assist you in upgrading your package.
I am currently taking lessons twice per week but I am not available twice a week anymore. Can I change my lesson package to accommodate my schedule change?
- We understand that your schedule can change and we are here to support you when that happens. To convert your twice-a-week lesson package to a once-a-week package, please contact the Front Desk of your branch.
- The UAE is home to many nationalities, many of whom live a transient life. Sometimes we have to say ‘goodbye’ to our amazing teachers and staff. If your teacher is leaving we have many other amazing teachers who you will be able to continue your lessons with. If your teacher is going to leave, the Front Desk will notify you immediately.
- Learning an instrument takes time and commitment and for some it’s more difficult than others. We highly encourage parents to be involved in every step of their children’s musical learning journey. If your child isn’t interested in taking lessons anymore, we recommend that you support them through their learning difficulties and encourage them to overcome their adversity. As always, our teachers and staff are also here to help you and your child overcome difficulty.
- To prevent disruption to the next student, our teachers cannot extend your lesson beyond the scheduled end time, if you are late to arrive. To make sure that all our students receive their scheduled lesson timing, for both face-to-face and online lessons, students must arrive five (5) minutes before the lesson starts.
- If you are collecting your child from their lesson, please be within school premises five (5) minutes before the lesson ends.
- Your point of contact for all communication, within the school, is the Front Desk of your branch. If you have any questions with regards to scheduling, re-scheduling, making payments or absences, for example, please direct all communication to the Front Desk Officers. We unfortunately cannot be held responsible for communication made directly with the teachers since the teachers are not trained on these aspects and may give you the incorrect advice or answer.
- Melodica is proud to be an official exam center of internationally-recognized examination boards such as ABRSM, Trinity, and RAD (Royal Academy of Dance UK).
- Exams can be somewhat stressful and a lot of students do get nervous – we have all been there and we all know how it feels. Exams are not mandatory and we will never force you to take an exam however your teacher will strongly encourage you to do so, and we support them in this regard, to prepare you and support you through exams. When you enroll for exam, you will show an increase in progress and skill level since you are focusing on specific concepts and knowledge in order to pass the exam. We are also sure that you will feel an over-whelming sense of achievement and pride when you pass and receive your certificate.
- We like to make it as easy as possible to register for exams. We therefore do all the work for you including registration and co-ordination with the examination boards. For all examination-related matters and since Melodica is the only point of contact with the examination boards, please raise any concerns to your teacher or the Front Desk of your branch.
- We love that you are motivated to reach a higher grade however if you are not prepared and your teacher does not have enough time to prepare you, you will not recommend for you to take a higher-grade exam. We will only register you for an examination that is a higher grade and subject, if you have the necessary skill level and a recommendation from your teacher.
- If you did not practice for the exam then you may not get the desired outcome or grade that you had hoped for. We will continue to monitor your exam preparation and progress and ensure that you are as prepared, as much as possible, without the desired practice. If you don’t meet the requirements for the exam due to missed lessons, lack of practice or failure to follow your teachers advice, we do reserve the right to remove our school name from the exam mark sheet.
What happens to my examination fee if an examination is cancelled due to an Act of God, Force Majeure or Government closure situation?
- In the event of an Act of God, Force Majeure or government closure situation that causes the examinations to be cancelled, which until 2020 we did not expect to ever happen, the examination fee will be retained and the student will be re-enrolled in the next examination session.
I’ve decided that I don’t want to take an examination anymore. Can I get a refund and unregister from the exam?
- We are sorry to hear that you do not want to participate in your exam anymore. Have you spoken to your teacher about why you want to withdraw? Upon registering for the exam, all payments received for fee’s are sent to the examination board. All registrations and fee payments are therefore final. There are some very exceptional circumstances where examination boards will permit a partial refund as per examination board policies. Please discuss your concerns with your teacher or Front Desk of your branch for escalation to the Head of Music.
- To make sure that you are prepared for your RAD ballet exam and most importantly if you are taking a graded examination, you must attend class twice per week starting from the November before the examination date. If your teacher recommends that you also take extra practice lessons, before your examination, then it’s recommended that you take additional private lessons.
- The examination boards set the dates and times for the examination so as soon as we know the exam schedule, we will let you know. The examination boards normally announce the exam schedule no later than two (2) weeks before the exam date. Please note that the examination may fall on a weekday or weekend, morning or late afternoon.
- This is unfortunately out of our control. The examination board does not allow you to change your exam date once the schedule has been released.
- If you need to apply for a special arrangement, you must submit supporting evidence, to the Front Desk of your branch, before the last day of registration. The examination board may not accept any special arrangements received after this time.